Thursday, March 19, 2015

Gluten-free Restaurant Pizza

I was minding my own business, browsing the internet, when a banner ad caught my attention. It announced that Pizza Hut is partnering with Udi's Gluten Free brand to make gluten-free pizzas in select locations. I actually clicked on the ad, which is something I wouldn't normally do. (Don't ask me how many times I have accidentally clicked on an ad!)


I couldn't find the exact banner ad again, but you get the idea. Basically, the fine print says if you order just cheese, or pepperoni and cheese pizza, it is certified gf, but if you want other toppings, they are from a shared kitchen so you are taking your life in your hands.

Anyways, I decided to try their pizza and compare it with the gluten-free pizza I have eaten at AJ's Heavenly Pizza. Read on for the review.
Hopefully, I will be able to try other pizza places gf menu items and add to this list. I heard from someone that East of Chicago Pizza has gf pizza now, as well as Donatos, Domino's, and probably others.

Disclaimer: I'm not being compensated for this review (I wish!) You can write your appreciation on a $50 bill and mail it to me. Just kidding. You can thank me by telling me about your experiences eating gf pizza, or any other gf food.

I ate at AJ's Heavenly Pizza in October of last year, and rated it on Find Me Gluten Free, but didn't post about it on the blog, till now. The approximately 10-12 inch crust (the only size offered) was thin and crispy around the edges. It was soft and chewy in the middle. Inside the pizza box, it comes in the disposable pan it was baked in to avoid cross-contamination. (See the photo below)


I ate all but two of the eight slices in one sitting. It was delicious.

The new gluten-free pizza offered by Pizza Hut was honestly very similar. One size, thin crust, very tasty.
Pizza Hut's new gluten-free crust
It was cut in six slices, and this time I had to share with my brother because now he is gf. He ate his half and was satisfied, but I was wishing we had bought another gf pizza. Another notable difference was that it didn't come in a disposable pan. I'm not Celiac so I can't gauge if there was any cross-contamination going on at either of the pizza places.
Pizza Hut's new gluten-free pizza with ham and bacon.
Based on the taste alone, it is hard to say which pizza is better, especially since I did not have the two types side-by-side. But, personally, I think AJs is a little better because...
-There are more options. AJs has pineapple. (Our whole family loves ham and pineapple, and we are not really pepperoni people.) AJs also allows you to order any of their fancy flavor combos (such as BBQ sauce) on gf pizza. At Pizza Hut, you can only get the classic marinara on a create-your-own pizza.
-They deliver to our house in the country, even thought they are located in the city. Pizza Hut does not deliver outside the city.
-If you do the math, AJ's gf pizza is a few cents cheaper. *Update: there is a delivery charge from AJs* But, if you or your family members can eat gluten, Pizza Hut has some great online-only deals. They are limited-time only, so I won't say any numbers, but we were able to get a large two-topping pizza for about half what a specialty flavor large would cost-- We actually bought two pizzas to feed the 6 wheat-eating adults, which was just the right amount because there were not any left-overs.

For more restaurant reviews, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love *positive* feedback