Friday, August 2, 2013

Fried Rice {Gluten Free}

I realize I have been posting mostly dessert recipes, so I am going to post a main dish today. When my mom was describing this meal to someone, she called it “A marriage between Indian and Chinese rice.” The American melting pot would be more accurate! The seasonings are loosely based on Indian Biryani rice, but the dish is not spicy. At all. I have had rice at an actual Indian-family-from-India’s house, and they said they toned down the spices, but my mouth was still burning! There are also fried eggs mixed in this recipe, which is a Chinese thing. We generally refer to it as fried rice. 


Ingredients

1 ½ cups rice
3 cups water
1 carrot
1 teaspoon salt
~1 cup raisins

~2 cups cooked chicken
1-2 beaten eggs
coconut oil
~1 cup frozen peas.
1 teaspoon coriander 
1 teaspoon turmeric
 ½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

Measure 1 ½ cups rice and 3 cups water into a pan, and bring to a boil. 
While it is heating up, peel and slice a carrot. Once the pot is boiling, add the carrot, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. 
If you don’t have any leftover cooked chicken you can pull out of the fridge, now would be a good time to start cooking some chicken to serve with the rice. For our family of six, we need at least 2 cups. 
When the rice is almost done, fry one or 2 beaten eggs with coconut oil in a large fry pan, and add ~1
cup frozen peas. (Depending on how much chicken she has, my mother tweaks the recipe.) Close to the end, stir in 1 teaspoon salt into rice, and throw in ~1 cup raisins, so they will soften up.  Add cooked rice to fry pan. Sprinkle pan with 1 teaspoon each coriander and turmeric, ½ teaspoon chili powder, and  ¼ teaspoon garlic powder. Stir well. Mix in chicken.

I see in this picture that my mother also snuck in some green beans from the CSA that we are a part of! It is like an I Spy picture- count how many peas you can find. How many raisins? How many grains of rice? Just kidding!


UPDATE: click the printer friendly button to edit a printer friendly version of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love *positive* feedback