Friday, August 30, 2013

Multi-name, Multi-fame Pancakes {Gluten Free}

As the title implies, this recipe has many names. It's fame has been passed around in my family. Many times I have heard the story of my late Great-grandmother,"Grandma Willow," making silver-dollar size pancakes for her grandsons Mark and Tim. Those boys are now my Uncles and proud grandparents in their own right. I have a fifty-fifty chance of remembering correctly which one would win those pancake eating contests. I do know for sure the recipe I am going to share is an adaptation of Uncle Tim's pancake recipe.
So why not call it Tim's pancake recipe? My dad acquired this dish, and tweaked it, adding more eggs, among other things. The most recent adjustment made it gluten free. Another name for this recipe could also be buttermilk blueberry pancakes. These are not flat, flavorless pancakes. They are hearty, stick-to your-ribs oat pancakes.
Call these pancakes whatever you want, except late for breakfast!
Directions: Mix together
1 ½ cups rolled oats
2 cups buttermilk
Beat in ½ cup Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix *be sure there are no lumps*
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, beaten
2 bananas, mashed
 Fry up on the griddle. 
Yield: Approximately 25. It depends on how large you make the pancakes. My dad's pancakes are more typical in size, not like the silver dollar ones my Great-grandma cooked up so long ago.
Another funny tradition we had, which
tapered off as we got older, was for my dad to form our initials out of the batter. The A’s and H’s in particular were easy to pour out and also symmetrical, so it did not matter how they were flipped. When I wanted to take pictures of pancakes for posting, I asked my mom, who happened to be manning the griddle, to make the letters L and W for me. I was envisioning the straight, sans serif letters like my dad drew for initials, but my mom had other ideas. She shaped the letters like some sort of script font.  
It just goes to show your creativity is only limited by your imagination. Even if it does not turn out picture perfect, it will still taste wonderful! The letters were so large, we had to cut them in order to flip them, but you cannot tell in the final picture. (Shh! Don't tell.)
Serve the pancakes with butter and maple syrup. If you don't want to pay for real maple syrup, or high fructose corn syrup, for that matter,
here is Papa's Homemade Syrup recipe:
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon maple extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
mix and heat up. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love *positive* feedback