Saturday, February 8, 2014

Gluten Free Buttermilk Waffles

I have wanted to share this protein-packed recipe for a while now, but my mom kept tweaking it. Her recipe is loosely based on Rice-Soy Waffles recipe found in The Gluten-Free Gourmet Revised Edition by Bette Hagman. (Rest assured the recipe no longer contains soy.) Do I recommend the book? Well, it's funny how I got it. When people found out I had to be gluten free, they gave me gf cookbooks, most of which I skim through and think interesting. But when I want a specific recipe for something, I usually turn to the internet, not the cupboard, for ideas.
Now I give you the tried and true formula for waffles.
(Note: this is a double recipe, and it yields about 16 square waffles on our 10"x10" four-waffles-at-a-time Belgian waffle maker.We freeze each leftover waffle in its own sandwich bag, and then put all the bagged waffles in a gallon bag in the freezer. Later we toast the waffles in the toaster for another breakfast.)

Dry Ingredients (and sugar, which isn't usually considered dry)
1 cup Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup potato starch
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 Tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3 Tablespoons baking powder

Wet ingredients
6 eggs
1 ½ cups buttermilk
1 ½ cups milk
½ cup olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ripe banana

Directions
To save time, my mom will often measure out the dry ingredients into a large bowl the night before. In the morning, mix the wet ingredients in a Vitamix or blender. Dump the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. Bake according to waffle maker's directions. Serve with butter or coconut oil, fresh fruit, jam, or apple butter, and/or maple syrup. (Get the recipe for Papa's Homemade sugar/maple syrup here)

UPDATE: click the printer friendly button to edit a printer friendly version of this page.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Heidi....that sounds delicious!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome, and yes it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love *positive* feedback