Thursday, May 8, 2014

Crepes for tortillas

Recently, I'd had enough with round store-bought place-mats marketed as gluten free tortillas. So maybe they are not that bad, but I have braces right now and I can't chew cardboard. My mom suggested I try using some homemade gluten-free crepes for tortillas. If you Google "tortilla crepes" you'll find that tortillas are often used as dessert crepes, but I reversed that substitution, using crepes as tortillas.

The first time I tried it, the crepes were soft and bendable, but oddly sweet. Omitting the vanilla in the crepes fixed the flavor. These crepes are more oily that typical tortillas due to the coconut oil they are cooked in, but I'm not complaining. They are bendable, but I'm not gonna lie, they do sometimes crack because they are so soft, not because they are brittle.

Directions: Follow the recipe for gluten-free crepes but omit the vanilla. Freeze any left over crepes in a bag with wax paper between each crepe, and be sure they freeze flat, otherwise you will not be able to get them apart without thawing the whole stack! When hunger strikes, pull the crepes out of the freezer, and pop one in the oven to broil. The flat crepe thaws to room temperature in less than a minute, depending on the oven. Pull it out, add some toppings (such as cheese) and finish heating the crepe and melting the cheese.

***UPDATE: I no longer have braces, and we found some delicious store-bought corn tortillas that you can read about HERE.***

Serving suggestions
Make Mexican-inspired burritos with refried beans, sprinkle cheese (I mean shredded cheese. Somehow, my immediate family and I started calling shredded cheese sprinkle cheese because we "sprinkle" it over our food. It amuses some of our visitors to hear us say "sprinkle cheese," but I digress.) Melt the cheese and then add sour cream, or avocado and any veggies you'd like including rice and salsa, and/or meat of some kind, like fajita chicken... the possibilities are endless.
Beans, cheese, and fajita chicken with avocado, tomatoes,
and broccoli.  Here, you can't see the crepe because it isn't
there! Another gf  solution is to skip the tortilla entirely.

Another ideas is to make "pizza burritos" with tomato/spaghetti sauce, ham or turkey lunchmeat, and cheese, or really any pizza toppings you desire.

For a s'more-inspired dessert, spread peanut butter on a crepe, and put chocolate chips and marshmallows on top, then melt till the chocolate is gooey and the marshmallows are puffy and lightly browned. Yum! No matter what you slather on these crepes-turned-tortillas they are delicious. I'd love to hear what toppings you put on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love *positive* feedback