Monday, August 11, 2014

The Simplest Recipe Ever {Gluten Free, Allergy Friendly}

I wish I could say I came up with this, or even tell you who did. I have heard of this recipe both by word of mouth and on the internet, but never with a source. (Darn Pinterest! After some digging, I think this is from Oh Snap! Let's Eat!)

This recipe is the simplest ever because it has only two ingredients, and no measuring.  The only other thing I can think of with few ingredients and minimal measuring might be a frozen banana smoothie. The consistency of a blended frozen banana is like soft-serve ice cream, by the way. If you like recipes that don't require measuring things, these DIY 3 Ingredient Mint Chocolate Covered Pretzels are for you. But back to the simplest recipe ever. Here are the ingredients:
Image likely from Oh Snap! Let's Eat!, via Pinterest

One banana, two eggs. 
Just peel the banana and crack the eggs. No measuring, and the end result is like a pancake! 
Mash both ingredients with a fork. 
Bowl with mashed bananas, two raw eggs and fork


Heat up some coconut oil in a fry pan. Pour some of the batter into the pan and cook it on one side till lightly browned. Flip, cook some more, and enjoy. 

I like to spread butter on mine, or peanut butter, and top it with fruit. Some people like to put honey on theirs, but it is already sweet from the banana.

Yield: Depends on what size pancakes you make. If you want to measure, a 1/4 cup works well and yields about five or six pancakes, depending on the size of the banana and eggs you used.

UPDATE: If you have a pancake griddle, you can cook all the pancakes at once.
Fry up all the batter the day you make it, and put the leftover pancakes in the fridge for later. Don't keep raw batter in the fridge as it tends to brown on top.

This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free, nut-free, flourless/grain-free/Paleo, and vegetarian. It's just about everything but vegan because vegans don't eat eggs. They're missing out. It is also low sodium if you use salted butter, or no sodium otherwise.

TIPS: Don't mess with perfection. I tried throwing in some oats just to see what it would be like, and it was bland. It needed salt or sweetening. The eggs-to-banana ratio is just right so that it is mildly sweet, and not too egg-ey for those of us who don't like plain eggs or just get tired of them after having them for too many days in a row. 
Also, I threw the ingredients in the vita-mix to see if it would save me time, and I'm not sure if it did. I did not get out my stopwatch, but I found that the vita-mix blended the ingredients into a runny batter that spread thinly to the edges of my fry pan. It was more delicate and difficult to flip. I prefer the chunky consistency you get when you beat the banana and eggs by hand. It stays together better in the pan and yields a thicker pancake.

Looking for more flourless recipes? Check out this flourless chocolate cake recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love *positive* feedback