Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Speedy Gluten Free Stuffing

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I thought I'd share my gluten-free stuffing recipe. It does not take long to throw together as long as you have gluten-free bread.

This was a life-saver if I needed a last-minute meal.
Early on in my gluten-free journey, I had some awkward moments where I realized I could not eat the main meal due to a hidden source of gluten.
Me: "I don't think soy sauce is gluten free."
Other person: "Are you sure?" *reads label* "Why do they put wheat in soy sauce?"
Me: "I don't know. What am I going to eat?"
Quick, gluten-free stuffing to the rescue.
This recipe can be a side dish to a meat like turkey, or you can heat up some leftover meat in with the stuffing.
It's also a great way to moisten up some really dry, disappointing gluten free bread! (For another great way to salvage unsavory bread, see this French toast Strata recipe.)

Ingredients:
Several Tablespoons butter
Celery, cut up
Clove of Garlic, crushed
Chicken broth
Several slices Gluten free bread. (I usually use Pamela's Gluten Free Bread mix, but any white bread will do)
Seasonings to taste:
Oregano
Rosemary
Basil
Sage
Cumin
Chili powder
Leftover chicken or turkey (optional)
Raisins or dried cranberries

Apple, cut up, (optional)
Note: As you can see I don't measure. Often, I throw together the stuffing based on how much left-over chicken and/or bread I have. This recipe is excellent for moistening up dry gluten free bread.
Directions:
Melt the butter in a non-stick skillet and sauté the garlic and celery, in the butter. Stir in several spoonfuls of broth.

Tear or cut up the bread and stir it into the butter broth, making sure there is enough liquid for the bread. If the bread soaks up all the liquid and still seems dry, add more butter and broth. I like my stuffing slightly soggy.
Sprinkle desired seasonings on the bread and stir.
Stir in the leftover meat and cut up apple bits to heat it up, if desired.
At the last minute, add the raisins or dried cranberries to soften.
Serve hot!
Serves one or two people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love *positive* feedback